For the baffled? At the bottom, you have the link to find the upcoming events in the arts and music world.
For the rest of us? Given the news of the last few days, there is no reasonable expectation that any of us can blissfully proceed through our own pollyannaesque existences, wearing our rose-colored glasses, sitting on our tuffets while eating our curds and whey.
Accordingly, here's an opportunity for you to get engaged, encouraged, energized, invigorated, and cognizant that each and every one of us can choose to make a difference. Call it social responsibility. Call it the price of living in a free society that has a disturbing habit of messing with the freedom of other people's societies. Call it actualizing your ethics for peace and human dignity. And call it yet another wholly necessary step in saving the planet for all of us.
Wed, Jan 8; GROUP CALL:
5 pm (Pacific) - "NO WAR WITH IRAN DAY" emergency group call with United States Senators BERNIE SANDERS and ELIZABETH WARREN, and Members of Congress RO KHANNA and BARBARA LEE, and leading experts on Ametica's foreign policy, in an emergency call to stop Trump's war with Iran.
* RSVP HERE to get the number for the call, which takes place TONIGHT.
* Breaking news may bring word of escalation between the U.S. and Iran; no one can be sure what will happen next.
* But we can push for diplomacy and de-escalation and not let a Trumpertantrum or fanatacism in the name of religion -- or imperialistic foreign policy on the part of anybody -- provoke a devastating war.
* Yes, competing Presidential Candidates Sen. Sanders and Sen. Warren have BOTH signed-on as guest speakers in this group call.
* This call will also prepare anyone who wishes to take part tomorrow, Thursday, January 9, in nationwide "anti-war, pro-diplomacy majority" demonstrations of Americans making themselves visible in actions across the country. Thursday already has OVER 200 EVENTS with more being added every hour for "NO WAR WITH IRAN DAY."
* We're out of time for delusions of righteous dominance. Assassinations don't make us safer. America's permanently pugilistic, and now Trump’s unhinged, foreign policy has needlessly endangered the lives of U.S. troops and Iraqi, Iranian, and countless other civilians. This is the crucial moment to declare, "We will not be led into another illegal war."
* While climate change deniers continue to pillage the planet, the warconomy's merchants of death accelerate destruction and suck-up the resources needed to save the only home we've got. Finally, people in the US and around the globe are tired of war, and want to work together because we're all in this together.
* American military families have endured multiple deployments and multiple generations in the same conflicts, and to what end?
* Iranian, Iraqi and Afghani families in the United States worry for their loved ones back home and for their safety here, amidst rampant xenophobia.
* If we’ve learned our lessons from Iraq and Afghanistan and Yemen and global endless war, we cannot be led into another costly, unnecessary war of choice. And we cannot allow our neighbors to be targeted by law enforcement. We cannot allow ourselves to be divided by a glory-hungry lout.
* RSVP NOW to get the number for the call, at: https://act.moveon.org/survey/moveon-rapid-response-call-nowarwithiran/
For the music and arts events reported by the Guide on Wed, Jan 8, go here:
features in the works, and they'll
be along as we get them dressed,
shoes tied, cowlicks combed down,
bowties cranked straight,
and strings tuned.
Find a comfortable spot by the
wood stove, play a round or two
of checkers, and we'll be along...
in this new decade...
"Hee Haw" voice: "THAT's all!"